Monday, December 8, 2008

odetofishes


a good firing... whew! after my last misadventure opening the kiln, i was more than a little paranoid. there are still a few things that i need to work on with that kiln, but i think that i am getting a handle on it. fish are my few favorite motif, along with bamboo leaves. they are both simple and graceful, and the fish are an endless source of subtle amusement for me. one fish will go the wrong way. one will have a different pattern on its back. another will wink or make kissy face. but only one little thing per piece. and then some have just fish. they remind me of living on the boat and the endless hours of meditation spent staring at millions of darting fry in the shadow of the hull. they remind me of long boat key and summers splashing in the shallows with younger siblings and eventually my own children. they remind me of sadie fishing from the dock with a chopstick, thread, and a bent pin. she caught more fish with cheddar than anyone i know does with shrimp! i suppose it is no wonder that i like them so much. they have faithfully eaten the crusts of peanut butter sandwiches of several generations, dodged the sinking pottery of my first year's classes, amused my toddlers for hours, and fascinated me since i first tried to catch one in my hands. all hail the noble fish!
now... off to work!
h.

No comments: