Friday, December 12, 2008

morning

i am sad today. perhaps i am just tired. at eight this morning, i was in my neighbors david and emily's back yard discussing a potential sewer line with a city right of way inspector. it is a proposed forty foot swath of destruction to pass directly behind my house (through my deck, as i see it), tearing out all the trees and maintaining a 20 foot permanent easement through the middle of my property. i also discovered that i don't own the garden patch next to my home. what else? o, that all of that "community land trust" area behind the cemetery was a lie fabricated by the agent selling the house. there are owned but undeveloped lots back there, lacking only an access road to begin construction. is 20 feet permanent easement wide enough for an access road? next to my bedroom? i am not sure if i want to scream or weep. even if they put the line where the existing one lies, they will tear down two or more hundred year old tulip poplars, destroy the creek, and rip out a great deal of the little woods that i so love. it makes me wish i had bought out beyond the vagueries of in-town easements and growing sewage capacity. if losing everything i love about my home is the price i pay for living within biking distance of everything, i think that i am paying too much.
happy holidays.
h.

No comments: