Sunday, November 23, 2008

localtools



(above: my wagener trim tool and the first pot i trimmed with it.)
being in a studio with matt and josh and their constant odes to local clays and materials inspires me and occasionally riddles me with guilt. it is simply easier and more time effective for me to buy my clay pre-bagged. besides. i really like my clay without quartz rocks, garnets, rubies, and old nails in it. (what they do with it is divine, though.) but, today i took a step closer to local clay. my friend alwin is a blacksmith in the Wedge building where i work, and today he gave me a new trimming tool! it looks rugged and lovely, fits nicely in my hand, and trims well... and is made more locally than even my favorite beer! (which is at the whole other end of the building!) so, my foot is on the step. matt has promised me a bunch of local clay to wedge up with mine. we shall see. i might yet have to bow to the vagueries of the local material. and it all starts with a trim tool.
lovepeace

No comments: