Wednesday, August 29, 2007

o, so that's what stinging nettle looks like.

though i am sure that you have fathomed almost the entire anecdote from the title, i will tell you about my stupidity anyway. this morning as i took jackson for his morning constitutional, we walked down a lovely shaded, extremely weedy alley grown up on both sides of the asphalt with bamboo, jewelweed, wild mint, and lots of high ground cover. one of my many faults is curiosity, so upon seeing an herb that greatly resembles lemon verbena i reached out and plucked some, rubbed it between finger and thumb and sniffed. it smelled acrid. i dropped it and proceeded onward. by the time i had reached the end of the block, my finger and thumb stung and burned and itched, and the true identity of my mystery plant dawned on me. i have actually bought it bagged and eaten it at home before. (it tastes of okra.) by the time we got back home, it had swelled up. i washed well with soap, but the little blastocysts had done their worst. (do plants have blastocysts?) the little hairs were well imbedded in my flesh, poisoning away. my thumb has had the worst of it. there are several dark purple spots, and it still burns.it has not stopped me from throwing pots, or from typing (obviously), it is only a little embarrassing.
i guess i will learn... eventually.
lovepeace
heather

No comments: