RECIPE from the New York Times
Nog: The Hard Way
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups dark rum
- Whole nutmeg
- In a saucepan, heat 2 cups milk but don’t boil. Turn off the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, gradually add the sugar into the egg yolks and whisk until thick and pale.
- Whisk 1 cup of the warm milk into the yolk-sugar mixture. Add this back to the milk in the pan, stirring over low heat until thickened and blended. Turn off the heat and quickly stir in the cream.
- Place pan in a large bowl half-filled with ice water. Stir occasionally, until chilled. When chilled, stir into punch bowl and add rum and remaining milk.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Then fold them into the nog. Top each serving with grated nutmeg. Serves 8.