Thursday, July 31, 2008

myartiststatement

(if i use more than one word in the title, it turns into blocks. damn.)
(i had to write this for the book for the show tomorrow.)
I am vastly enamored of the wood-fired surface. The complex patterns of flashing and ash, the myriad surfaces smooth to stony, the obvious paths of flame across the face of the pot all combine to fascinate me at every kiln unloading. My work, which is entirely functional, evolves constantly to better suit my interest in the effects of fire. My glaze palate is spare, mostly liner glazes to preserve functionality. I use a variety of slips and a black underglaze to make simple designs. These designs are pulled from my surroundings and distilled into as few brushstrokes as possible. My goal in decoration is to find motifs that lend themselves to the organic nature of wood-firing. My overall desire in making pots is to create a body of work that is both functional and intriguing to the eye and hand.

No comments: